Search This Blog

Copyright Christina Pendleton 2013. Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Followers

Grab a Button!

Photobucket
Wednesday, September 24, 2014
I recently had a good amount of tomatoes ripen on my plants and was trying to plan something amazing to make with them. I came across an awesome recipe for Roasted Tomato Basil Soup but didn't have all the ingredients it called for so I made my own twist on it with what I had.

I fed this to my parents and my dad said it reminded him of Zupas. That's success, I think!

Here's what I did:
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

Ingredients:
-About 3 lb tomatoes
-2 T olive oil, divided
-3 tsp minced garlic
-2 carrots
-1 med. yellow onion
-2 8oz cans tomato sauce
-2 cans chicken broth
-1/2 c fresh basil (more if you like it a lot)
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
-1 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions:
1. Cut tomatoes in half, spread out on a baking sheet, toss in 1 T olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and roast in oven at 400 degrees for about 15 min. 
2. Peel and chop carrots and onion, heat up 1 T olive oil in a stock pot and throw in the carrots and onions. Cook until onions are transparent.
3. Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT basil and whipping cream, simmer for about 20 min (until carrots are soft.)
4. Add basil and blend in a blender or with a hand blender to desired consistency. (I like mine less chunky.)
5. Transfer back to pot and add cream, let heat through and serve!

*I also cooked some orzo separately if people wanted to add that and parmesan cheese to their soup. I also served the soup with this Zucchini Cheddar bread. Yum! Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment