Search This Blog

Copyright Christina Pendleton 2013. Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Followers

Grab a Button!

Photobucket
Friday, June 6, 2014
So I've been frustrated lately because I have needed prunes for Scotty for a while now and every time I go to the store, it seems the shelves are cleared! It really is so annoying. So when I was at Costco yesterday I saw the dried plums and decided to just make my own prune baby food. It's a good thing Scotty likes prunes because he loves bananas too, if ya know what I mean. :o)

I did some quick math and discovered that it is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to make your own prune baby food. I haven't done the math for everything I have made but I wouldn't be surprised if it were the case across the board. Here is how I worked it out.
This bag was $5.99 at Costco. There are approximately 200 prunes. I used 10 prunes.

I filled 2 of these 6 oz jars with 10 steamed and blended prunes. Each of these jars of prepared baby food is a little over a dollar at Smiths. 

So, I used 1/20th of the bag of prunes. $5.99/20 is about $0.30. AKA $0.30 for 12 oz of baby food vs. about $2.30 for the same amount. 

I did consider the fact that I may not use all the prunes for baby food. And we don't eat prunes, so we wouldn't have a use for the rest. But consider splitting a bag with a friend. Plenty of prunes to go around. ;o)

I was pretty excited about that. Just thought I'd share in case anyone was interested. 

On to the fun stuff! We have been doing lots of fun things already this summer. Firstly, Scotty just finished swim lessons and the Orem Rec Center! We took a class with 3 other friends. 

The class was MWF for 30 min. and ran for 3 weeks. So we had 9 sessions total. Scotty was the youngest in the class and really had a hard time warming up to it. Literally and figuratively. He was freezing most of the time. But by the end, he was starting to hold himself up by grabbing on the wall of the pool. And was learning to hold his breath before going under water. 
 It was a fun excuse for us Mommies to get together and chat and the kids loved playing too. While Scotty is still a little young to understand what is going on, I am glad we took the lessons because now I feel a little more comfortable going into the summer taking him swimming on my own. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment