Search This Blog

Copyright Christina Pendleton 2013. Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Followers

Grab a Button!

Photobucket
Monday, February 17, 2014
I'm baaaaack! (Hopefully). Since having the baby and buying a house, it hasn't left much time for blogging, however, I'm finding myself doing lots of fun projects for the house since we are completely remodeling it and I thought I'd share. 

I wanted to make a mobile for my little guy's crib and found a bunch of cute ideas on Pinterest that I decided to put together into my own version. I had a lot of the materials already so this was super cheap and actually pretty easy, just time-consuming. My two sisters helped me and we rotated baby duty while working on it so we could finish it in a couple hours. 

 Step One:

Take a round, wooden cross-stitching holder and tie strips of fabric around it to cover. You can make the strips as long and wide as you want. Mine were about 1 in. thick and about 6 in. long. I just used scraps I had from his bedding.

Step 2:

We found some images online of elephants that we could copy and trace onto felt. We cut through two layers of felt for the front and back. We made 4 elephants (8 sides total) and 4 sets of ears (8 total). 
Step 3:

I took yarn and hand stitched the two sides of the elephant together leaving a hole for stuffing. 
I stuffed them with cotton balls but you could use batting or whatever you have around. I cut a smaller version of the ears from the fabric scraps and tacked those on. I actually ended up tacking them on in an "x" which turned out cuter.

 Step 4:

I also cut out little stars from different colors of felt. We then threaded each piece with white thread. You could use fishing line, twine, or whatever you have on hand. I like the thread because it is almost invisible but it won't curl. I ended up doing 4 elephants and just a bunch of stars. I made the elephants the same length and the stars different lengths and just tied them from the wooden circle.

 Step 5:

 In order to hang it from the ceiling, we tied wide ribbon from 4 spots on the mobile base and brought them together at the top. You could also you tulle or fabric. I haven't hung mine since the nursery isn't quite finished but you could tie a bow or a knot and hang it from a hook from the ceiling.
Step 6:

 Enjoy! My little man seriously loves this thing! Can't wait to have it over his bed! I think it will make for lots of quiet time entertainment.


0 comments:

Post a Comment